Mother’s Day came and went. Before our annual family Mother’s Day dinner, I spent my day at a local hotel’s pool. I layed. I sunbathed. I ordered a Chinese Chicken Salad and was able to enjoy it by myself without my sweet toddler children picking all of my ‘crunchies’ off of it and eating them before I can even try ONE. Against all rationality, I got my Mother’s Day wish. Ahhhhhhh that was nice. So now I’m looking for vacation ideas.
Except I don’t any. Zilch. Goin’ nowhere fast, folks. I’ve already dished about five ways I fake fabulousness, so thought I’d spill five ways to fool yourself you’re on a vacation on a daily basis. Because I’m not on vacation… and I wanna be. These work for me… hope they do the trick for you!
How to Fake a Vacation in Your own Home:
1) FIND YOURSELF A FANCY MUG. Start your day with a fancy sip. This one was a gift from my cousin (I think it’s from Anthropologie). I never would’ve bought it for myself. (Why would I need a fancy mug like that?!?) I’m so glad she bought it for me… it starts my day in a frilly way even when my darlings are screaming at me for more cereal.
2) TOAST COCONUT AND SPRINKLE ON EVERYTHING. Toasted coconut screams tropical/Hawaii/paradise, and I’ve had a big old bag of it leftover in my pantry since that fabulous Easter dessert creation. So how to use this tropical toasted coconut more often? Sprinkle on morning yogurt, add to my afternoon trail mix, top my after-dinner strawberries. Aloha, baby.
3) OPEN ALL THE WINDOWS IN YOUR HOME. It only takes about 5 minutes and you get dividends in return. The light, the fresh air, the good mood that inevitably follows… just open a freakin’ window.
4) WEAR A BRAID. Maybe this works for me because I never wear braids in real life. But wearing one in Cabo sure made me a convert. Booooyyyyyyy was that a VAY-CAY-TION. So wear a braid. Or wear your hair in whatever way you did while you were on a real vacation. It’ll change your mood if only because of memories. I might just braid my hair NOW.
5) DRINK: ROSE, COCKTAILS, WINE. Who the hell hydrates with booze? People on vacation… on yachts and in fancy hotels. A-ha! MommyJuice wines has a fabulous (and inexpensive) rose available at most CVS stores. I’ve tried it. It’s fabulous. Or, any colorful and refreshing mixed drink will do. Or even plain old wine.
Family vacations ahead… no matter where you may or may not be going. Cheers to YOU.
HOW DO YOU FAKE YOURSELF OUT THAT YOU’RE ON VACATION?